Eight films from seven regions
Our Competition – selected under artistic direction of Maggie Lee – focuses on both discovering unknown independent potential auteurs and gives recognition to the film craft of directors making quality mainstream films. We’re proud to present films in our selection that all manifest a strong cinematic vision and reflect the diversity of subjects and genres in Asian cinema, while mirroring the complex cultural, social and political characteristics of the region.
- 1987: WHEN THE DAY COMES by JANG Joon-hwan (Zuid Korea)
- BAD GENIUS by Nattawut POONPIRIYA (Thailand)
- THE GREAT BUDDHA+ by HUANG Hsin-Yao (Taiwan)
- IN YOUR DREAMS by TAM Wai-ching (Hong Kong)
- PASSAGE OF LIFE by Akio FUJIMOTO (Japan)
- PLEASE/CARE by Giancarlo ABRAHAN (Filipijnen)
- POSESIF by EDWIN (Indonesië)
- THE SEEN AND UNSEEN by Kamila ANDINI (Indonesië)
The films will compete for Best Film, Best Director and Best Performer. The last two awards will be handed out for the first time this year to honour filmmakers with outstanding creativity and to raise European awareness of the huge pool of acting talents in Asia. Award winners will be announced during the Closing Ceremony on Sunday 11 March.