Asian films win big at IFFR & Sundance and it’s a fantastic start to 2020 for Asian cinema: 2020 is starting as a great year for Asian filmmakers as major festivals and awards shows are showing a lot of love to the amazing quality and narratives from Asian films.
We’ve seen major wins by The Farewell and Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite at the Golden Globes and SAC awards, and now that IFFR and Sundance are wrapping up we’re seeing landslide wins for Asian films.
We’d like to congratulate the winners at IFFR and Sundance and have compiled a list so you can put them on your own watchlists:
- “The Cloud in Her Room” by Zheng Lu Xinyuan (Tiger Award) China
- “Beasts Clawing at Straws” by Kim Yong-hoon (Special Jury award) South Korea
- “Moving On” by Yoon Dan-bi (Bright Future Award) South Korea
- “Only You Alone” by Zhou Zhou (FIPRESCI Award) China
- “Nasir” by Arun Karthick (NETPAC Award) India
- “Parasite” (B&W version) by Bong Joon-ho (BankGiro Loterij Publieksprijs) South Korea
- U.S. Grand Jury Prize & Audience Award: Dramatic: “Minari,” by Lee Isaac Chung. USA/South Korea
With the Oscars coming up we are looking forward to seeing how many awards Parasite will reel in. Which Asian films do you feel deserves more mainstream recognition? Let us know.
Other posts on (Award-winning) Asian Films:
(Asian films win big at IFFR & Sundance and it’s a fantastic start to 2020 for Asian cinema)